Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mid-week Miscellaneous


I'm still feeling pretty blah, so this will be short. I've got a large pot of Minestrone simmering gently on the stove and I've been wrapping Christmas presents and addressing cards today, but I thought I'd check in and let everyone know we're still here, although not being terribly productive.


The above is an idea I stole directly from the Pottery Barn catalog. I really really liked the card holder, but really really didn't have the $49 for it, even if I picked it up at the store and not ordered it online. So I did what any other diy-er would do. I went to Lowes, smiled politely at the wire cutting man and asked for 45 feet of small gauge electrical wire. "45 feet?" he asked. "You sure?" "Yes, please" I replied. The next day, with the help of my wire snips, I had made my own card holder for about $6. Now, I'm sure it isn't as straight and as rigid as the one down at Pottery Barn, but for $6 I really like my little card holder and I can't wait to fill it really full in December.


This is Dabney's portrait of herself and Joshua. I just love how she drew him with no hair and curly feet.


My friend Nester wrote a post last Spring about what she calls "Ragamuffin Garlands" and has revisited the post this week. Now I'm a little too practical and frugal to buy fabric, just to cut it into strips and make a garland, but I've been a quilter for many years and have the scraps and remnants to prove it. These garlands are the perfect project to make if you have fabric scraps laying about that you just can't bear to throw away. So since I have nothing else worth saying, go visit my friend Nester, because her garlands beat mine anyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you ususally sick your whole pregnancy or just the first few months?? i wasn't sick at all with my first but my second i was sick from day 1 til i delivered! :( hope you feel better soon!! hugs and prayers...

Mandie said...

I'm trying to go slow in the mornings, usually I feel woozy if I start running around, trying to get things done. I get crazy tired in the afternoons~ if I sit in the couch I usually end up falling asleep. I can't usually eat anything substantial after 4pm either. I really can't complain though~ some women have it WAY worse than me. Thanks for asking, Joanna!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...