Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Welcome to Command Central!

Welcome to command central! This is my new (to me) desk! I was getting pretty harried managing our homeschool, finances, house stuff, mail, coupons, etc from our dining room table, so a few weeks ago, we found this great desk from Pottery Barn Kids for really cheap on Craigslist. I was so excited to snatch such a great find! Look at those little cubbies! I have one for coupons, one for our whiteboard stuff, one for drawings and letters from the kids, and more to spare! And drawers! I have art paper for the kids to use in that inbox in that 3rd space and my master curriculum guide lives (for now) on the bottom. The furniture is all solid wood~ hutch, desk and chair. Although the desk and hutch have been discontinued, you can still buy the chair from pottery barn on sale for only $99. I bought the entire 3 piece set for $59. Total steal. And, I am completely in love with it.

The only thing is this...

and this...
It was definitely used as a school desk. By children who were fidgity and expressed their boredom on this desk. The pictures don't show it well, but there are shallow carving all over the front right side of the desk. My dilemma is this: I want to use this desk forever and restore her back to her original beauty. I'm thinking a light sanding with my sanding mouse and then a coat or two of white paint. However, the ante is upped (in my mind, at least) because the furniture is from Pottery Barn. I'm nervous that I'll ruin it forever. Maybe it's because I know I can't just run out and get another one. Not that I do a bad job at these things, remember the $15 dresser?
Anyway, I'm thinking paint. White or black. Although I already have two large black bookshelves in the room where my desk lives. Would that be too much black? I need your opinion! I'm putting a poll in the left sidebar so you can help me. PLEASE VOTE! And thanks in advance for your wonderful ideas!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I think Black. ESPECIALLY if you already have black furniture in there. I would love to have a room full of black furniture~and a room just with WHITE too~but Matt never lets me paint ANYTHING. Rat.

:-)

Can't wait to see what you decide.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...